Saturday, October 19, 2013

The Gift


The Gift is the first erotica I've read in over a year. When I originally downloaded it to my Kindle it was free  and I'm familiar with some of Harlequin's other series, so I thought, "what the heck". The four other erotic novels I've read have all been in the BDSM category as well. This one is definitely a lighter read in my opinion. Not quite as dark and twisted as Anne Rice's Sleeping Beauty trilogy, which is comprised of three of the four erotic books I've read.

I actually really liked the story in The Gift. I didn't realize it's part of a series called The Original Sinners and I'm now interested in reading the other books. The main character is named Eleanor and The Gift starts out with Eleanor's master dropping her off at the home of Daniel for a "seven day loan". Eleanor has never met Daniel before, but they have an instant attraction and even begin falling in love. This is complicated because Eleanor also loves her master and doesn't want to leave him even though Daniel would like for that to happen. 

Daniel seems like a really great guy to me and I hope to see them get together permanently later in the series. Daniel is a librarian whose wife recently passed away from cancer. He is very distraught and won't even leave his property. Eleanor helps bring him out of his grief during their short time together. Just the fact that he's a librarian made him seem so much sexier in my mind. Men that read... I can barely contain myself. When I hear my own guy talk about books... God, it's so attractive. Not just having reading as a hobby, but being a librarian on top of that is icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned.

The sex in the book was very interesting. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I think the author did a great job at not making it sound too cheesy or awkward, while still making things very hot and heavy between the characters. Cheesy is always something I'm worried about in erotica especially when it comes to books published by Harlequin. Then again, most of the Harlequin books I read are the Christian Love Inspired ones. Tiffany Reisz did a great job making things very steamy and sexy while still allowing the characters to show an emotional connection, which I think must be hard to do while writing kinkier sex.

I'm giving The Gift 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment